One loaf French bread
4 ounces unsalted butter-melted
4 whole eggs
2 egg yolks
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
3 cups whole milk
1 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon vanilla
- Remove crust from the French bread and slice 1 1/2 inches thick
- Brush both sides of the bread with the melted butter. Arrange the bread in a 9×12 inch pan.
- Beat the eggs & yolks together; add sugar and nutmeg, whisk well to combine. Add all remaining ingredients. Whisk well. Pour the custard over the bread.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place a sauce pan of water on to heat. Put the custard dish into a larger pan. Pour hot water into the larger pan till half-way up the sides.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until lightly browned and puffy. Dust with powdered sugar, garnish with fresh fruit and serve with maple syrup.