We are uniquely situated in Mercersburg, Pennsylvania near many different big cities.
- Chambersburg, Pennsylvania – est. 18 miles
- Hagerstown, Maryland – est. 18 miles
- Frederick, Maryland – est. 50 miles
- Gettysburg, Pennsylvania – est. 45 miles
- Baltimore, Maryland – est. 100 miles
- Washington DC – est. 110 miles
Since we are close to many bustling cities, there is much fun to be had a short drive from our Inn! Spend your next vacation at our bed and breakfast which offers a great getaway from Washington DC and the other major cities nearby.
From historic sites, skiing, golf, swimming, hiking, shopping, dining, visiting wineries or breweries, there is something for everyone nearby.
See below for all of the fun activities you can enjoy near our TripAdvisor #1 rated Inn.
From fine-quality furniture to trinkets of yesteryear, these treasure-filled antique markets offer a wonderful opportunity to stroll and shop. Check our guide to the best antique shopping around Mercersburg, PA.
- Beaver Creek Antique Market (301-739-8075) Located in nearby Hagerstown, MD, this spacious, laid-back antique marketplace houses 150 dealers. You'll be welcomed with a smile and a fresh pot of coffee as you browse the many booths.
- Greencastle Antique Mall (717-597-9198) Right down the road in Greencastle, this expansive 14,000-square-foot mall is the Innkeepers' favorite. Room-like booth settings display beautiful lamps, furniture, glassware, and linens. Don't forget to ask for your 10% Mercersburg Inn discount!
A short trip to Hagerstown, MD. With names such as COACH Factory, Polo Ralph Lauren Factory Store, Kate Spade, Lucky Brand Jeans, and more, Prime Outlets in Hagerstown has quickly become one of the most popular attractions. Prime Outlets Hagerstown: When you make your reservation, ask us about our free coupon booklet (a $7 value) for your shopping trip to Prime Outlets.
Pachallina of Long Acres Farm Located at the Farm -Natural and Organic clothing with alpaca as the main focus.
Long Acres Alpaca Farm totals 130 acres of rolling fields and tree lines and is nestled against the Allegheny Mountains of southcentral PA.
Hagerstown Baseball - Municipal Stadium
The Hagerstown Suns Municipal Stadium boasts the honor of being one of the three oldest Minor League baseball stadiums in the country. The stadium opened in 1930 and seats just 4,600 dedicated fans.
Enjoy a visit during the season, view the upcoming schedule.
Swimming & Hiking
Cowans Gap State Park (717-485-3948) has hiking trails, a lake with a sandy beach for swimming, paddle and row boat rentals, fishing, and a concession stand.
For guests who enjoy a more challenging pace, a portion of the magnificent Tuscarora Trail runs through nearby Buchanan's Birthplace State Park. A bypass to the Appalachian Trail, the Tuscarora Trail follows the crest of the Tuscarora Mountains and offers day hikers one of the most striking treks in Pennsylvania.
Knob Hall Winery
Knob Hall Winery is located in Clear Spring, Maryland and is just a short 12 minute drive south from the Mercersburg Inn. An estate winery, Knob Hall produces it’s high quality wines from its own vineyards while practicing sustainable agriculture.
There is more to do than just tours and tastings. Visitors are invited to learn about the wine-making process from pruning grape vines to picking and stomping grapes during harvest. Additionally, Knob Hall offers an array of exciting events throughout the year!
Totem Pole Playhouse (888-805-7056)
Civil War Sites (each a 45 min drive)
- Antietam Battlefield (301-432-5124) Site of the bloodiest fighting of the Civil War, the Battle of Antietam claimed more than 23,000 lives in a single day - September 17, 1862 - and led to Lincoln's issuance of the Emancipation Proclamation.
- Gettysburg Battlefield (717-334-6274) One of the Civil War's most significant battle sites is now the largest battlefield shrine in America with more than 1,000 monuments and historical markers.
- Harpers Ferry (304-535-6298) Best known as the site of John Brown's Raid to free slaves before the Civil War, lovely Harpers Ferry - set on a bluff in West Virginia above the Potomac and Shenandoah Rivers - witnessed many historical events over the years. Thomas Jefferson once called the view from the ridge over town, "perhaps one of the most stupendous scenes in nature."
Home to the acclaimed Mercersburg Academy and the site of many Civil War battles, Mercersburg is a picturesque town with lovely, preserved homes and business structures dating back 250 years. Stroll through the historical village or saunter through the garden-like grounds of the academy. Ask your Innkeepers for directions to the best walking paths.
Whitetail (717-328-9400) - the best ski resort in the Mid-Atlantic. Nineteen super-wide slopes spill down the resort's 935-foot vertical drop (the biggest vertical anywhere close to us!), and the high-speed chairlifts whiz skiers up the mountain for a day packed full of runs.
Tee off at your choice of three, 18-hole championship golf courses - all less than 15 minutes away.
- Whitetail Golf Resort (888-493-4169) is a beautiful, scenic course with mountain views and a state-of-the-art GPS golf cart navigation system.
- Great Cove Golf Club (717-485-9924) includes "country club" services, such as a swimming pool, tennis courts, lessons from a PGA golf professional, and a fully stocked pro shop.
- Greencastle Green Golf Club (717-597-1188) offers attentive personal service and a well-designed course that caters to begInners and tournament players alike.